Granted there are so many situations in life that live us bruised and wounded in our hearts. However to be able to live a joyful, free and pleasing life to God we must forgive. That means getting rid of all the offence , bitterness and resentment which are not only poisonous to our lives but they hinder our relationship with God.
The heart, as l have now realised is so important to God, 1Samuel 16:7 as clearly says that God is more interested in what goes on in your heart..
Offence in our hearts prevents us from hearing from God and going deeper in our relationship with Him.
I can testify that in those times when l have been angry and offended my heart became hardened, l was not able to hear what God was saying to me about the situation. We have to fight for our relationship with God by preserving our hearts.
“Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.” PROVERBS 4:23 AMP
Here is why we need to guard our hearts and refuse to be offended. It is with the heart we:
- Believe – “For with the heart a person believes [in Christ as Savior] resulting in his justification [that is, being made righteous–being freed of the guilt of sin and made acceptable to God]; and with the mouth he acknowledges and confesses [his faith openly], resulting in and confirming [his] salvation.”ROMANS 10:10 AMP
- Trust – “Trust in and rely confidently on the LORD with all your heart And do not rely on your own insight or understanding.”PROVERBS 3:5 AMP
- Love -Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:37 NIV
- Find God -You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 NIV
- We dwell continually in God presence –“O LORD, who may lodge [as a guest] in Your tent? Who may dwell [continually] on Your holy hill? He who walks with integrity and strength of character, and works righteousness, And speaks and holds truth in his heart.” PSALM 15:1-2 AMP
I found myself wondering if God looks at my heart, how well have l been looking after my heart? With the heart we understand God, we love him, we are saved because we believed in our hearts. How well then can we get closer to God with an offended heart?.
It may not even be your doing, it maybe something that happened in your past that has offended you, how you were treated, decide today that even though you don’t understand ” You want God more than the answers “..
A cheerful heart is good medicine,but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NIV
🙏“Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a right and steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.”PSALM 51:10
It’s a daily process , l literally have to wake up daily and refuse to be offended, or to let any circumstances, any person to cause me to grow roots of bitterness and resentment. God is love so l will choose to love.
I hope you are encouraged to continue to guard your heart.